[Bioperl-l] broken term relationships from dagedit files fixed

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Thu Jun 30 12:20:12 EDT 2005

I fixed the bug in Bioperl that prevented relationships from being
returned when $ontology->get_relationships() is called without
arguments. (if you called $ontology->get_relationships($term),
everything worked fine)

The rest is a sort of a post-mortem and probably largely uninteresting
to most people unless you're a developer.

The bug consisted of $graph->edges_at() being called incorrectly with
an undef argument instead of calling $graph->edges() iff the term ID is
undef (in Bio::Ontology::SimpleGOEngine.pm). The fix consisted of
changing a single line of code. A test in the Bioperl test suite
(t/Ontology.t) would readily expose the problem. However, versions of
Graph.pm earlier than somewhere in 0.6.x behaved as if edges() had been
called when the argument to edges_at() was undef, so that I only
recently noticed the test failures, which had never been reported by
someone actually experiencing the problem.

This single-line bug which would be detected by an existing test
triggered a motivation to migrate away from using Bioperl because it
was considered broken, as opposed to a motivation to debug the problem
in Bioperl and fix it.

I am wondering whether this is just the way it goes or whether this
experience could be used to draw some lessons for how GMOD developers
and Bioperl developers could work together more productively, because
generally I believe both groups of people could benefit significantly
from each other. Also, I don't see being a GMOD developer as mutually
exclusive with being a Bioperl developer and vice versa, so I'm not
even sure these are two distinct groups of people ...

Any comments greatly welcome.

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org