[Bioperl-l] Entrez Gene parser questions

Mingyi Liu mingyi.liu at gpc-biotech.com
Tue Jun 7 19:06:28 EDT 2005

Hi, Annie

Annie must've been using the Bio::ASN1::EntrezGene V1.09, which worked
fine with your entrezgene.pm in bioperl-live at least a couple days ago,
when I replied to Annie.  V1.09 also did not have any significant
changes in parser code vs. 1.07.

I guess it has something to do with V1.4 since the sample script you
used below runs perfectly fine on my Bioperl 1.5 + entrezgene.pm.  The
procedure you used was also correct (there's no need to 'use
Bio::ASN1::EntrezGene;' though).  Try follow Stefan's suggestion first
(although I don't quite understand why Bio::ASN1::EntrezGene complained
about non numerica operon, which can only result from incorrect calling
of the function.  But Stefan's entrezgene was using correct calling and
it runs perfectly for me.  I was using entrezgene.pm CVS version 1.9.

Keep us posted on your progress.

BTW, Stefan, you could call Bio::ASN1::EntrezGene with either '-file'
(bioperl style) or 'file' (I allowed both when I implemented this switch
I think. I usually just use file, which might explain your note in the
comment in your script.  I just noticed the comment.

Mingyi