[Bioperl-l] Entrez Gene parser questions

Stefan Kirov skirov at utk.edu
Tue Jun 7 16:47:11 EDT 2005

Hi Annie,
Few more things to update:
Bio::AnnotatableI and Bio::SeqFeatureI.  I believe this is the reason
your script does not work. Update also Bio::SeqIO::entrezegene- I added
some fixed so you will not see those nasty warning when using strict
(nothing critical though).
I am not sure we have the same versions for Bio::ASN1::EntrezGene. I
have 1.0.7. Where did you get it from (maybe mine is older)?
Stefan

Law, Annie wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Thanks for all of the replies.
>I am using bioperl 1.4 and I have done the following:
>1. installed  Bio::ASN1::EnztrezGene (using perl Makefile.PL, make, make test, make install)
>2. got a copy of the entrezgene.pm from bioperl-live and put it in the Bio/SeqIO directory
>3. copied the Bio::Annotation::DBLink DBLink.pm file and put them in the corresponding directory
>4. the Bio::Cluster::SequenceFamily file was already up to date
>5. also have all the most recent bioperl-live Bio::SeqFeature::Gene modules
>
>I grabbed the ASN file from ftp://ftp.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/gene/DATA/ASN/Mammalia/
>
>I then wrote a simple perl script which includes:
>
>#!/usr/bin/perl -w
>
>use strict;
>use Bio::ASN1::EntrezGene;
>use Bio::SeqIO;
>use Bio::Annotation::DBLink;
>use Bio::Cluster::SequenceFamily;
>
>my $file = '/var/lib/mysql/Homo_sapiens';
>
>my $seqio = Bio::SeqIO->new(-format => 'entrezgene',
>                               -file => $file,
>                               -debug => 'on');
>
>my ($gene,$genestructure,$uncaptured) = $seqio->next_seq;
>
>After I run this script I get the following errors:
>
>Useless use of hash element in void context at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Bio/SeqIO/entrezgene.pm line 317.
>
>Argument "-trimopt" isn't numeric in numeric eq (==) at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Bio/ASN1/EntrezGene.pm line 450.
>
>Pseudo-hashes are deprecated at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Bio/SeqIO/entrezgene.pm line 148.
>
>Use of uninitialized value in string ne at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Bio/SeqIO/entrezgene.pm line 150.
>
>Pseudo-hashes are deprecated at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Bio/SeqIO/entrezgene.pm line 416.
>
>Can't locate object method "add_tag_value" via package "Bio::SeqFeature::Generic" at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Bio/SeqFeature/Generic.pm line 234.
>
>I'm not sure what I am missing?
>
>Thanks so much,
>Annie.

Stefan Kirov, Ph.D.
University of Tennessee/Oak Ridge National Laboratory
5700 bldg, PO BOX 2008 MS6164
Oak Ridge TN 37831-6164
USA
tel +865 576 5120
fax +865-576-5332
e-mail: skirov at utk.edu
sao at ornl.gov

"And the wars go on with brainwashed pride
For the love of God and our human rights
And all these things are swept aside"