[Bioperl-l] Could not load GO terms to BioSQL

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Sun Jan 4 17:26:15 EST 2004

On Sunday, January 4, 2004, at 01:09  PM, Holland, Richard wrote:

> Simple fix is to adjust the size of the accession column in dbxref. I
> have doubled it to 64 characters. Could someone verify this is sensible
> and see if the schema could be updated to match?

I encountered the same problem a while ago and applied the exact same
fix, although I wasn't extremely happy with this solution, as it is
caused by GO references in a way hijacking dbxref and not necessary for
any other reason.

The real fix requires substantial code changes though across the
bioperl and bioperl-db board, as the object model has the real flaws
here. Juguangs fixes to Bio::Ontology::Term may have actually brought
us closer to that goal.

The reason why the fix isn't in cvs is that we maintain a local version
of the biosql-schema repository for our Symgene project. This has
caused synchronization issues a number of times and generally annoys
me; I'll remedy this situation as soon as biosql is released the first
time. Another aspect that's driving me to really make this happen now.

	-hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org