[Bioperl-l] Philosophy, BioPerl Object Creation [was Query Unigene title from input a ACC number]

James Gilbert jgrg at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Mar 26 11:03:37 EST 2003

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Jason Stajich wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Jamie Hatfield (AGCoL) wrote:
>
> > The blessed hash was actually something I was planning on trying, I just
> > wasn't sure if that was a "sanctioned" method of speeding up my code.  I
> > haven't been around to hear all the discussion re:
> > speed/flexibility/solid object model, so I didn't realize this topic was
> > becoming a dead horse.  :-)
> >
> it's still alive - don't worry.  We want to fix perf problems, but there
> hasn't been a good solution suggested yet.
>
> > Another area I was curious about:  my fpc module ISA MapIO, so when
> > reading in newlines, it uses the _readline function.  Are there any
> > plans to buffer this or do we assume that the os/hardware does a good
> > enough job as is?  Also, What was the motivation for abstracting this
> > away?  I mean, I assume you're saying that there is a significant
> > performance hit in perl when calling methods (more so, I assume, than
> > other programming languages).
> >

> There is a significant performance hit calling 'new' with the way we have
> implemented it because it walks up the chained constructor hierarchy and
> perl doesn't seem to want to cache that walk (actually I really not sure
> what is going on in the guts there, others have taken a look and can
> report).

One thing I dislike about the bioperl 'new' system
is that if you mistype the name of a paramter it
just gets silently ignored.  Perl/Tk has a similar
system, but passes a reference to a hash of named
parameters (instead of flatening and
reconstructing the hash at each level).  Each
level deletes the parameters it has taken, and the
root object can throw an exception if there are
any left in the hash.  Implementing this now in
bioperl whould, however, be horrific!  We can wait
for the Perl6 rewrite, which has named parameters
built into the language.

> But you're only calling new once to instantiate the parser so I
> don't think you have to worry about things there.
>
> I am assuming perl is doing just fine buffering things.
>
> > More than half of the time spent reading in a fpc file has ended up in
> > the _readline method, but it really doesn't take that long to read the
> > file in if you do it yourself with open, <>, close and such.  I'm just
> > trying to find a good way to keep within the object model, but still
> > make this a useable object.

I think the point of the _readline method is that
the parser can put a line back onto the stack if
it decides it has read too far.