[Bioperl-l] Error in loading into biosql database

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Wed Mar 19 13:17:22 EST 2003

I guess you need to re-initialize (truncate) your species database.
There may have been left-overs.

The situation that leads to the stack trace and exception below occurs
in one specific situation, namely if the species at hand already exists
in the database (from a previous insert), but without the NCBI taxonID.
If the same species passes through again, but this time with an NCBI
taxonID set, it is looked up by the NCBI taxonID. This look-up fails.
Then the adaptor tries to insert the species, which also fails, because
the species is actually already there, just incomplete.

This should not happen if you start from swissprot, as swissprot
supposedly always gives you the taxon ID.

If you never inserted Homo sapiens by hand, and could not possibly have
loaded it from a datafile that lacked NCBI taxon IDs (I believe that
e.g. the embl parser doesn't catch the ID in the feature table), then
it is possibly a left-over from running the tests, which means you run
MySQL without transactions enabled. I'd fix that first if it is true.

	-hilmar

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org