[Bioperl-l] RE: BioPAN

Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Jun 23 09:34:40 EDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-06-22 at 19:28, Nathan (Nat) Goodman wrote:
> Hi Heikki
>
> > BioPan! Great idea! You'll get all the support you need from me.
>
> Great.
>
> > First to do is to check the feasibility of having our own CPAN server
> > copy.
>
> I'll make some inquiries.  Does anyone have a suggestion of a person I could
> contact there?
>
> An alternative would be to stay within CPAN but have a special section with
> the module list.  We could have our own site, BioCPAN or BioPAN, that just
> directs people to the correct section of CPAN.
>
> > I suppose it would make sense to start using the CPAN bugtracking
> >  system, http://rt.cpan.org/ ?
>
> You're using bugzilla now, yes?  Are people unhappy with it?  If we stay
> within CPAN, I believe CPAN will do bugtracking for us, so that may force
> the issue.

Bugzilla works pretty well. I'd like to know how tightly linked  all
these software packages are which have been build around CPAN. There
might be some advantages to start using them all.

> > Also, ExtUtils::MakeMaker based makefiles are quite difficult to
> > maintain and we should try to  start using Module::Build.
> > http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2003/02/12/module1.html
>
> Sounds like a good idea, but I think it's a separate issue.  You might want
> to do this even if you decide not to do the BioPAN thing.
>
> To summarize: I'll start a conversation with the CPAN people about either
> running our own PAN or having a special section of the standard one.  I will
> not look into bug tracking or Module::Build at this time, leaving these for
> a later time or someone else.

That's fine. I just mentioned all these because they have been in my
mind for some time and will need to be tackled at some point.

	-Heikki