[Bioperl-l] New Fink Bioperl dependency installer, etc.

Steven Cannon cann0010@tc.umn.edu
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 10:29:23 -0500

I've been maintaining a site describing my Bioperl install experiences
on Mac OS X
( http://www.tc.umn.edu/~cann0010/Bioperl_OSX_install.html ), and would
like to keep it up to date by getting feedback from other OS X users. In
particular, there are two install options that I would like to hear more
about: the CPAN.pm BioPerl::Bundle, and a new Fink Bioperl dependency
installer by Christopher Dithi (Thanks! - this should be an ideal
solution for OS X).

There is an OS X - specific problem with CPAN (see below). The Fink
"bioperl-pm" is currently in the "unstable" branch, meaning that it
needs more testing. I would also like to know whether the new version of
the OS (10.2) causes any problems, either in existing or new
installations. Here's what I say on my page -- and I'll update this as I
hear other peoples' experiences with CPAN or Fink.
===
  There are at least three quite distinct options for installing the
BioPerl dependencies on OS X. You can 1) do it "from scratch," following
the instructions on this page, or 2) you can use the CPAN.pm module and
BioPerl::Bundle, which should install almost all of the dependencies
nearly automatically, or 3) you can try the new Fink bioperl-pm package,
which also should install almost all of the dependencies nearly
automatically. Unfortunately, none of these options is entirely without
a certain amount of hassle and risk. In order, here are the options in
more detail:

1) Doing the installations manually gives you the most control, but
there are a few pitfalls here and there (particularly, see the note
about "HEAD" below, under "LWP.")

2) CPAN.pm is a wonderful creation, but I have been frustrated by it on
OS X. In particular, the last time I tried to install CPAN.pm itself (in
July, 2002), it tried to update my version of Perl to 5.80 -- which
would seem like a virtuous thing, but the Perl reinstallation process
itself was long and arduous, and didn't work for me (it caused me no
problems with the default installation, but 5.80 didn't "take.") And
then when I tried to use it to install BioPerl::Bundle, it tried AGAIN
(and without asking or giving me the option to refuse) to install 5.80.
That said, the dependencies did install correctly. However, unless
someone knows how to circumvent this problem, I can't recommend
BioPerl::Bundle on OS X. (And if someone knows a way around this
problem, please let me know! Actually, to investigate, try
http://www.scriptdigital.com/divers/frontiermonitor.html -- which looks
like a solution).

3) The Fink option should be the best solution, because the Fink package
manager is explicitly designed for OS X. It also installs everything in
its own private directory (/sw), so there is essentially no danger of
overwriting important Unix utilities and libraries. The bioperl-pm
package is new, and I haven't tested it, so I (and the package
maintainer, Christopher Dithi) would be interested to hear how it goes.
As of August, 2002, the Fink bioperl-pm is in the "unstable" branch,
meaning that it has not been well tested. You can help!
===
- Steven Cannon