[Bioperl-l] Re: [BioSQL-l] Re: Regarding the Bioperl-db you installed..

Tim Henderson tjh@alodar.com
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 11:16:36 -0700

Andrew,

 >> I have bioperl 1.0.2, MySQL 3.23.49-3 (Redhat 7.3) and  various
 >> versions of bioperl-db.

I don't know if this is responsible for your SQL errors, but there are
other reasons why you should upgrade to the latest stable production
release of MySQL, currently 3.23.53a. In a previous thread ("Adding
qualifiers to features on a stored sequence"), Hilmar Lapp told me that
"MySQL < 3.23.{50,51 - not sure} had the problem of losing all FK
constraints..."

Also, make sure that you are running the MySQL-Max server (mysqld-max).
The regular one doesn't support InnoDB tables, which the BioSQL schema
use. If you feed biosqldb-mysql.sql to a regular MySQL server it won't
complain, but will silently create the tables as type MyISAM, which
doesn't support foreign key constraints. This won't cause problems with
inserts and fetches, but will cause deletes to leave orphaned rows in
various tables, e.g., seqfeature_qualifier_value.

Further, be aware that even though you have the MySQL-Max server
installed, you still need to specify some minimal InnoDB configuration
in the server configuration file (my.cnf); otherwise InnoDB support will
be disabled and again you will find the server silently converting your
tables to MyISAM. (I'm speaking here of my experience with MySQL
3.23.53a; I don't know what is changed/different in 4.0.x). For details
on configuring InnoDB see:

http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_Table_types.html#InnoDB_start

-- Tim