[Bioperl-l] Problem make-ing, arg list too long

Scott Presnell srp@zgi.com
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 12:57:29 -0700

Hi All,
	Sorry, I'm sure I've just done something stupid, because
I don't see any mention of such a basic problem in the lists...

	When trying to "make" bioperl-live, all shells
I've tried (sh, csh, tcsh, bash) come back with
	"Arg list too long"

here's one example attempt...

% make SHELL=/usr/gnu/bin/bash
make: execvp: /usr/gnu/bin/bash: Arg list too long
make: *** [pm_to_blib] Error 127

In the Makefile, the macro TO_INST_PM, referenced
by the pm_to_blib target has 498 lines, and approching
14k chars.  Is this the expected expansion?

For what it matters my environment is:

% uname -a
IRIX64 blaster 6.5 04101931 IP35

% make -v
GNU Make 3.80

% perl -v
This is perl, v5.6.0 built for IP30-irix

Is this a problem is irix execvp(), or in the shell, or?

	Thanks for any help or pointers...

	- Scott