[Bioperl-l] new Bio::Root::IO functionality

Allen Day allenday@ucla.edu
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 21:17:22 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

This is to make people aware that I've made some small changes to
Bio::Root::IO.

There is a new method called mode() that, when called, returns a value
indicating the type of filehandle held by _fh().  mode() returns 'r' for a
read filehandle, 'w' for a write filehandle, and '?' otherwise.  I needed
to make a POSIX call to implement this, and I'm concerned it might windows
perl might not function correctly.  Can someone please verify that
t/RootIO.t passes tests on non-x86-linux platforms?

Also, _pushback() now stores it's buffer as an array.  That means you can
_pushback() multiple lines, and it will return them in the order you
pushed them in.  _pushback() previously was only able to store one line in
its buffer.

-Allen