[Bioperl-l] Structured (nested) Annotation

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 18:49:52 +0100 (BST)

> Bottom line is, I needed something there that at least leaves me a
> chance to extract the knowledge of the annotator (in fact, since biosql
> can't handle this kind of thing, right now I flatten out the nesting
> anyway before dumping it into biosql). I'm happy to change or enhance it
> if there's consensus, or adopt a better solution. (but the present one
> does work for me, so the ball is now in the court of those who don't
> like it :-)

;) Too true.

I guess I would have made a specific nested-annotation-style-annotation
than make annotations inherently nested (did you raise the nesting up to
the interface? Of course implementations can easily ignore this by
returning an empty list... but still) - in other words, I don't think this
nesting solution to this problem is "worthy" of being generic. Hmmm.