[Bioperl-l] Press Release for Bioperl 1.0

Georg Fuellen fuellen@alum.mit.edu
Mon, 25 Mar 2002 18:36:00 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Steve Chervitz wrote:
> Cudos to everyone that participated in making 1.0 a reality! It is truly a
> spectacular release. I'm still trying to digest it all, but 3000+ tests that all
> pass is great to see.
>
> Speaking of warm fuzzies...I still remember clearly, in the pre-0.01 days, my late

Warm fuzzies.. Still remembering the pre-pre-0.01 days when bioperl was a really
small baby, and I adopted it from Steve Brenner, Jong Park and some others...

I'm very happy now that bioperl then entered the Open software bazaar,
thanks to Ewan, Steve C and Chris D in particular, and today it's a great
success, with so many wonderful ppl involved.

(I'm grateful that the very early days of bioperl are still mentioned
on the website and in the distribution)

I'd love to see online courses on bioperl. A loose association of netters,
the Internet Biologists (IB, www.internetbiologists.org), mailed me about
running online Perl courses about a month ago. They have the expertise
in online education, and lots of synergy may be possible. The contact is
Pinar Kondu <pinar@mediaone.net>.

(IB was founded by Chin Hoon Lau, a student of the Biocomputing Course
run in 1996 by the (now defunct) Virtual School of Natural Sciences,
which in turn I used as the umbrella under which bioperl got some
nourishment and a temporary home -- >6 years ago....)

all the best wishes for the future
georg

integrated functional genomics, IZKF, medical faculty, university of muenster,
germany, fon +49 251 835 2212, fax +49 251 835 5651, alum.mit.edu/www/fuellen/