[Bioperl-l] 1.0alpha2

Jason Stajich jason@cgt.mc.duke.edu
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 11:07:41 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Brian Osborne wrote:

> Colleagues,
>
> There are 3 general approaches to flat-file indexing in Bioperl currently :
> the basic DB::Index* approach, the fully-featured but specialized DB::Fasta*
> approach, and the new OBDA approach.  Should the documentation steer users
> to OBDA and Flat*? Or shall "one hundred flowers bloom"?

OBDA will be the way to go if people want to access their indexes in
python,java, and c. I need to check with Lincoln to see what the future of
DB::Fasta is.  It has its own functionality that I'm not sure we support
anywhere else.  Once the OBDA flat indexes are testing a production
environment like the Sanger compute farm we'll probably really focus on
that. Albeit the original Index stuff will stick around for a while (at
least 2 or 3 releases).

So short answer is to steer people towards OBDA and we should have some
caveats about how this is a transition point in the toolkit.

> Also, Bio::Biblio seems destined to replace Bio::Annotation::Reference, yes?
> The increased detail in the objects and the ability to query bibliographic
> databases supports this notion. However, in the documentation for Seq
> objects we see that one can build an Annotation::Reference object and
> associate it with a Seq object with $seqobj->annotation($annrefobj). How
> will this work if one has a Bio::Biblio object in hand? Your thoughts?

Yes - but it won't happen for 1.0.  We definitely will be refactoring the
Annotation::Reference object to use Biblio objects - we should probably
try and at least get the inheritance scheme setup correctly now if not all
the functionality.  Ewan what was your thinking here on the timing here?

> I'm assuming, again, that the documentation should steer people away from
> Annotation::Reference. Yes?

Yeah - but that means we probably need to fix the sequence parsing code to
create proper Biblio objects.  I'll take a look.