[Bioperl-l] XML::Writer test seg fault

Robin Berjon robin.berjon@expway.fr
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 18:25:45 +0100

Chester Langin wrote:
> Everything installed ok except for XML::Writer,
> which passed the first 39 tests and then said,
> "Attempt to free unreferenced scalar at test.pl
> line 513."  Then, it said that make seg faulted.
>
> Line 513:  $writer->emptyTag('foo:foo');

If you look at XML::Writer's source, you'll see that it uses some slightly
devious techniques to define which sub will be called depending on the SAFEty
setting. The error you get is a problem typically seen in modperl that occurs
when a sub is contained within another, though I forget the specifics (IIRC it's
closure/refcount related).

> Any ideas to fix or work around this?

XML::Writer is rather proven software, but I don't think David is still
maintaining it, having apparently switched mostly to the Java side of things.
There hasn't been a release since early 2000. Has anyone here considered
switching to SAX instead (eg using XML::Generator::PerlData)?

--
Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr>
Research Engineer, Expway        http://expway.fr/