[Bioperl-l] Pushing towards 1.2

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Sun, 1 Dec 2002 16:04:00 +0000 (GMT)

On machines were I can run "make test" (... :( ...) it looks like 1.2 is
in good shape. I will now be driving things towards final release
quality. I am going to focus on documentation on the main modules with
strong emphasis on smoothing the path for newcomers.

Things to do:

  (a) test, test, test, in particular on Windows boxes. Shelly et al: time
for you guys to step up to the plate

  (b) Fix Makefile.PL to encorporate new fix - Jason - do you know what is
going on here or do you want to bounce that to me?

  (c) Trial a merge of bioperl-live and bioperl-run ---- I think a merge
is sane (note - should we just say "screw this, lets put the bioperl-run
stuff back into bioperl-live" or something funkier). This is my headache.

   I would love to hear the opinion of the core (jason, hilmar, lincoln
and heikki) and also elia (who's group uses bioperl-run alot) about
this. I think merging is the way forward. Other people's opinions are
worth reading for sure but I am most interested in teh people who will
bare the brunt of the decision to do this.

   - My main point - We *have* to release a Bioperl which runs remoteblast
"out of the box".

   Aim for 1.2 before 31st Dec 2002 and a series of release candidates
before christmas.

<birney@ebi.ac.uk>.