[Bioperl-l] Pipeline stuff

Peter Kos kos@rite.or.jp" <kos@rite.or.jp
Wed, 21 Aug 2002 18:11:12 +0900

Elia,

today I do not understand much from the first paragraph below and I
understand very few from the second one. However, I am not completely
ignorant, I hope, I just miss something that would put the puzzle
together.
Anyhow, something tells me that your pipeline stuff may be exactly
what I need.
Of course I do not want to ask lame questions. Therefore let me just
ask this:
Do you already have something written material, leaflet, homepage,
introduction, example, tutorial whatever on this matter? Or the
things you mention in the second paragraph? When are you going to
come out with them?
I belong to newbies working in small-to-evensmaller labs, although I
consider my current project at least medium. So I need help, and of
course I want to use all possible kind of help available for me
(human, literature, software, Internet service etc.). What you
describe here seems to be a pretty good one.

This is going to be an OpenSource, and not your consultancy or
whatever firm's property, am I right?

Regards
Peter

> this is one of the reasons why we have started working on the
> bioperl pipeline, it is to encapsulate in a robust reproducible
core
> simple-to-complex tasks that people out there in small to medium
> labs would like to manage. Running things as part of the pipeline
of
> course gives you an easy way to a)re-run every time you want
> with updated data, b)record sensibly each stage of your analysis
> for a potential paper,etc. c)introduces sanity all round.
>
> As part of this effort to make it easier for newbies we are
> producing XML "templates" for commonly wanted tasks,
> eventually we will have one out for annotation (genome-style)
> on any input sequence, as well as simple blast
> pipelines that can be easily modified, protein clustering,etc.
>
> Elia

> * http://www.fugu-sg.org/~elia *
> * tel:    +65 6874 1467        *
> * mobile: +65 9030 7613        *