[Bioperl-l] Re: *major* error in genbank parser or am i just insane?

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 10:16:22 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Brian King wrote:

> > This is very hard to do because you have to handle:
> >

> >    (a) CDS with no Exons
> >
> > and, my particular favourite
> >
> >    (b) a mRNA join operator which is out of sync
> > with the CDS join
> > operator (!)
>
> For (a) I'd put generic sub-features in the CDS to
> hold the places of the presumed exons, and for (b) use
> generic sub-features for the CDS and the mRNA joins
> and just let them be out of sync.  I surrender on
> remote joins!  I'd keep the location string in
> documentation in the data, but not try to interpret
> it.  Ideally the parser would download the remote
> record, but...

This just get more and more complex as more and more bizarre cases come
out of the woodwork...

This is a good thing. The question is who will do it. Are you
volunteering?