[Bioperl-l] [Bioperl-guts-l] Notification: incoming/1168 (fwd)

Jason Stajich jason@cgt.mc.duke.edu
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 21:02:51 -0400 (EDT)

There is no currently accepted format in the GenBank/EMBL feature tables
for writing anything other than what we consider 'generic' features.  If
you have an idea on what would be an appropriate way to represent them in
genbank/embl FT format we'd love to hear it and we could work with you on
implementing it.  It was never done because no one has really seen a
"right way" to deal with them in this format.

How would you suggest writing a feature pair or a SeqFeature::Computation
object that fits into the official format:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/collab/FT/index.html

No one has volunteered recently to work on dealing with these features in
genbank/embl formats - Would you be willing to work on it?

This is how things get done in the open-source world - if it doesn't work
or exist yet, you propose a solution to get feedback and then you write it
and everyone benefits.

-jason
---
Jason Stajich