[Bioperl-l] Re: [PBS-USERS] openPBS configuration (fwd)

Kris Boulez Kris.Boulez@algonomics.com
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 10:11:08 +0200

Quoting Michele Clamp (michele@sanger.ac.uk):
> On Sat, 13 Apr 2002, Elia Stupka wrote:
>
> >Hello folks,
> >
> >I am pretty disappointed. Thought that PBS would be a nice free
> >alternative to LSF for those who don't want to spend on LSF, but from the
> >e-mail below on the PBS-users list it is absolutely obvious that their
> >strategy is that PBSpro (read paid software) will be reliable, robust and
> >scalable, while the free counterpart will be left unscalable and buggy...
> >

> Whoah Elia!  That guy works for PBSpro so of course he's going to push it.
> Do we know for sure that PBS is not a good way to go?  There must be
> someone out there using it.

We are using it internally (not on a huge cluster) and are pretty
satisfied with it. You can read stories on this list (very helpful
people on it) about big cluster which run OpenPBS.
The people from PBSPro tend to send mail (I got one of these in private
following a question I asked on the list) like this.

An alternative is GridEngine. It's some sort of free for (certainlyi) Solaris
and Linux. Don't know about other OS'es. Webpage is
http://gridengine.sunsource.net  Looking at the webpage reveals lots of
other OS'es

Kris,