[Bioperl-l] no way to get protein/cDNA from species name?

Jason Stajich jason@cgt.mc.duke.edu
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 12:29:29 -0400 (EDT)

Nope.
You can
a) go to the model organism site if it is a model organism
b) go to NCBI - select protein
Enter into the query box:
 Caenorhabditis briggsae[Organism]
hit go.
Select FASTA from menu, Hit text button.
Save to file.  Now you have a db of all C.briggsae proteins in genbank.

c) use Boulder::GenBank which allows you to specify a species name

Maybe consider helping out bioperl by seeing how we might be able to use
the Entrez query within bioperl either by migrating from Boulder or
reimplementing it.