[Bioperl-l] Referencing BioPerl

jong jong" <jong@bio.cc
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 04:12:30 +0100

Hi,

Because of the very nature of Bioperl from the very conception,
it will continuously evolve accommodating very different
needs of very different people. In 3 years of time, the people
involved and the direction it will take could be different from the
one(s) now. There is no ultimate classic bioperl paper as
it did not start off from a grant or paper but from an open,
free and flexible organization/gathering of people over the
Internet.

So, I think the best way of referencing is to site the web address
that is most active (bio.perl.org, bioperl.org etc) and relevant
to your paper. That is the bioperlly way.

Can you ask the webmaster of that site to put some documentation/
reference link if there is not a good one yet?(Chris Dagdigan can help you
on this I guess).

Also, the reason why authors 'refer' to paper (when you think of
1800s) was to let new-comers to learn and old-stayers get information from
the original source. Now the Internet is a great dynamic source of such
resource. So, why don't we support it?

Who knows, in the year 2020, people may find it odd
to refer a 'paper' rather than a digital Inernet site/server (or the
successor of present Internet).

Best,

Jong