[Bioperl-l] SeqIO cleanup

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gmx.net
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 23:24:28 -0700

Jason Stajich wrote:

> I'm starting to do some stringent Bio::SeqIO cleanup (working towards
> diffless round tripping that Kris Boulez suggest a while ago and Elia and
> I agree is the right thing to do here).
>
> Couple of things I've noticed - some SeqIO implementations won't accept a
> PrimarySeq to write_seq.  This is probably bad...  How should a module
> like embl proceed if it gets a PrimarySeq in write_seq - currently it
> balks.

If a PrimarySeq does not contain enough information to write a
valid entry, then it should rise an exception. E.g. if you need
certain features (source for genbank) or annotation.

> Also, some routines return a Seq object always rather than what fasta does
> with next_primary_seq and next_seq - should this be the same behavior
> everywhere?

I think we don't need two methods here. If choosing between
PrimarySeq and Seq really makes sense, this should be accomplished
by a long-planned Bio::Factory::Seq object (managed by and
inherited from SeqIO.pm).

	Hilmar