[Bioperl-l] Re: bl2seq reader chokes when no results (PR#927)

Ann Loraine loraine@loraine.net
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 21:10:11 -0700 (PDT)

The trick I think is to distinguish between two possibilities:

1. bl2seq ran but exited prematurely due to some kind of error.
(no_alignment.1)

2. bl2seq ran without error but couldn't align the two sequences because
they aren't homologous (no_alignment.2)

In case 2, I would want the parser to report that the program ran but
failed to produce an alignment.  In case 1, I would be happy if the parser
threw an exception and died.  Currently it does this in both cases.

I think it's possible to distinguish case 1 from case 2 by examining the
output -- in case 2, the program produces statistics such as
"effective HSP length" and so on.  (see alignment.2 uploaded earlier)
The parser could search for these strings and then throw an exception if
it fails to find them in the output.

-Ann

 ---

Ann E. Loraine