[Bioperl-l] Joint CSHL/Wellcome Trust meeting, 8-12 August, Hinxton

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 14:02:07 +0100 (BST)

   Genome Informatics
   ------------------

   http://nucleus.cshl.org/meetings/hinxtonmeetings.htm

The first Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory/Wellcome Trust conference on
Genome Informatics will focus on large scale genome annotation and
utilisation. The conference will begin on the evening of Wednesday August
8, and finish after lunch on Sunday, August 12. The Hinxton Hall
Conference Centre is located several miles south of Cambridge, and forms
part of the Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, together with the Sanger Centre,
the European Bioinformatics Institute and the HGMP-MRC Resource Centre.
The conference will follow a format similar to traditional Cold Spring
Harbor meetings, in that the majority of oral presentations will be drawn
from openly submitted abstracts.

The focus for this conference is large scale genome informatics. The
explosion of biological data requires a concomitant increase in the scale
and sophistication of information technology. This ranges from the storage
of data and their associated data models, to the design of effective
algorithms to uncover non-obvious aspects of these datasets, to ontologies
to concisely describe biological information, and finally to software
systems to support curation, visualisation, and exploration. The
conference brings together some of the leading scientists in this growing
field, and we strongly encourage researchers from other large scale
information handling disciplines to attend.

Topics include

Annotation Pipelines, Genome Assembly, Gene Prediction, Functional
Genomics, Gene Ontology, Genome Visualization, Software Engineering.

Discussion leaders include

Michael Ashburner, Mike Cherry, Michele Clamp, Richard Durbin, Jim Kent
Anders Krogh, John Quackenbush, Jim Mullikin, Chris Mungall, John Richter
Joel Richardson

The meeting schedule will have deliberate "break out" sessions and access
to small rooms for collaborative discussions and coding.

The abstract deadline is May 25th 2001.

I'm happy to answer any queries about the meeting; I hope many people from
the open source bioinformatics community can contribute as participants
and abstract submitters.

ewan

<birney@ebi.ac.uk>.