[Bioperl-l] remote blast update

Jason Stajich jason@chg.mc.duke.edu
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 18:24:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Chervitz, Steve wrote:

> Regarding Bio::Tools::Blast, I've recently re-taken up the task of
> simplifying the parsing code and addressing some long-standing issues. I've
> also thought about having a BlastIO system. It would allow us to isolate the
> code for parsing NCBI and WU-BLAST, which would make for better
> maintainability. (This  would also mean that you couldn't mix different
> flavors of Blast output into the same stream, which Bio::Tools::Blast can do
> now, but I doubt anyone really needs to do).
>
> The BlastIO stream system would also have to differentiate on the type of
> Blast object you want to build (lite or heavy or whatever). So perhaps you'd
> have BlastIO/ncbi and BlastIO/ncbi_lite.

ok. could do that - will have to see how it plays out.  Is there any other
model we should look to in designing this?

> Having a set of standard interfaces such as BlastReportI, BlastHitI,
> BlastHSPI that define core functionalities for these objects is also a great
> goal. It would permit more code-reuse, allow users to easily play with
> different implementations, and make life easier in the CORBA world.

Would be nice to factor out things that can be used by FASTA so we can
simplify access even more.  AnalysisReportI, HspI (or HSPI), HitI or
something along these lines would be nice if we can do it.  These should
probably be in Bio/ since Bio/Tools really ought to just be code for
handling output from specific programs or for doing specific tasks.

Hilmar will probably have some good ideas here too.

-Jason