[Bioperl-l] GO annotatinos in BioPerl. A tentative proposal...

Hilmar Lapp hilmarl@yahoo.com
Thu, 05 Apr 2001 09:30:03 -0700

Ewan Birney wrote:

> > What I propose to do is to create a new method of Feature objects,
> > $Feature->GO, which would set/return the GO annotation object associated
> > with that feature.  I would also modify the ->to_gff_string call such
> > that it checked for the presence of a GO annotation and dumped that
> > information into the GFF attributes field along with the other tag/value
> > information.
>
> My approach would be this  (this is the "mix-in" type approach)
>
>    Define an interface called
>
>        Bio::GOContainerI
>           defines method ->each_GO();  # feel free to chose your own
> method.
>
> The ->to_gff_string can test
>
>     if( $seqfeature->isa('Bio::GOContainerI') ) {
>          # yadda yadda
>     }
>
> Now make perhaps ::Gene object inheriet from Bio::GOContainerI as well as
> from Bio::SeqFeatureI.

That's fine, too, but doesn't bring our Annotation object design
into shape :) (referring to what I just responded to Mark's
email).

	Hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                              email: hilmarl@yahoo.com
GNF, San Diego, Ca. 92122                phone: +1 858 812 1757