[Bioperl-l] clarification on Bio::DB::GenBank

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 20:00:23 +0100 (GMT)

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Osborne, Brian wrote:

> Ewan,

cc'ing this straight back to bioperl ;)

> I'd be glad to write something for you. How would you like it to look? Right
> now these methods accept single arguments, the "id". Proposal 1, accept a
> second argument, (protein|p) or (nucleotide|n), for example (default is
> nucleotide?). This assumes the person knows what they want, probably true
> almost all of the time. Proposal 2, if not found in "nucleotide", try
> "protein". Nicer, I think.

My bias is that DNA stuff happens in the Bio::DB::GenBank and protein in
Bio::DB::Genpept. That's why there are two different modules

> Related matter, and this was discussed in one of the groups. This module
> uses IO::Socket. My module uses LWP and HTTP. It's easy to see how to go
> from one to the other, but which would you rather use? I can't intelligently
> compare them myself. Just from reading TPJ I'd say the combination of LWP
> and HTTP is used far more often when one talking about HTTP requests.
> Anyway...

Moving this to LWP is the preferred method at the moment, to allow access
through firewalls

> Doesn't Aaron want to do this? Isn't this stepping on his toes a bit?

I am sure Aaron is cool with this.

Forge forwards - this will be something for the 0.7 release. As soon as
you have something serious, post it to me and, assumming it looks ok, I'll
set you up with cvs access so you can just hack on the code base directly.

thanks for offering.