Bioperl: SeqAlign BLAST parsing

Catherine Letondal letondal@pasteur.fr
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 10:34:17 +0200

"Andreas Matern" writes:
> With a local installation of the NCBI toolbox, one has the option of
> creating SeqAlign output for blast results.  Although obviously not meant to
> be human readable, the output does have the benefit of being more easily
> parsed than the conventional BLAST output.  Are any groups out there using
> the SeqAlign option of blastall?  Just wondering if I'm going down a
> dead-end road that someone else has already traveled.

A very, very useful feature would just be to have an XML Blast output. XML documents
are easy to parse, and benefit from a wide range of tools, __which allow to
build custom parsers__ at a little cost. Several biologists here at Pasteur
have already asked us (the computing center) about such a feature.

Sincerely,

--
Catherine Letondal -- Pasteur Institute Computing Center