Bioperl: SeqAlign BLAST parsing

Andreas Matern alm13@cornell.edu
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 18:41:53 -0400

Joseph,

Actually, you can get seqalign output on a non-genbank formatted database,
the output is only slightly different:

from this genbank formatted database:

                local
                  str "TOVDE85TH" ,
                gi 4691223 } ,

to this non-genbank formatted database:

                local
                  str "TOVDE85TH" ,
                general {
                  db "BL_ORD_ID" ,
                  tag
                    id 11003 } } ,

where TOVDE85TH is the query sequence and gi # 4691223 is the subject in the
first example and
TOVDE85TH is the query sequence and the 11,003rd entry in the 'homemade'
database is the subject in the second example.

This works well for me, as we are using an Oracle database to store the
sequences anyway.

The reason ASN.1 output is so attractive is the obvious ease in parsing and
the hope that no matter what  BLAST version comes my way, the SeqAlign
output won't be too different.  I spend my days doing a lot of TBLASTX
analysis and most of the avaiable parsers don't work so well with that
input.

Sincerely,

Andreas