Bioperl: libgd and bioperl

Mark Dalphin mdalphin@amgen.com
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 10:18:17 -0700

Andreas Matern wrote:

> As mentioned on SlashDot (http://slashdot.org) today, the gd library
> (http://www.boutell.com/gd/) which creates GIFs on the fly and is required
> by Lincoln's GD (http://stein.cshl.org/WWW/software/GD/GD.html) module
> (which I use, in part, for Alessandro Guffanti's Paintblast
> (http://hercules.tigem.it/Biomodules.html) module) has been withdrawn due to
> copyright problems!

I wondered why that hadn't happened sooner given other such events over LZW.

> Thought you would like to know....... and maybe ask about graphics and
> bioperl.  The software users I interact with always require graphical
> displays to analyze data -- which is understandable, but makes my life a bit
> difficult.  :-)

When I am not using Perl, I use the GNU plotlib, a C-library which works quite
well and drives many output devices, including pseudo-GIF, X and Tek4014. I have

wondered if and when someone more familiar with the connections between Perl and

C that I am would connect Perl to plotlib...

> Has the bioperl community tackled many/any graphics issues?  i.e. graphical
> display of chromosomes, BLAST results, contig information, chromatographs,
> etc....

Graphical display is essential for the work I do, both for my end-users and
simply to grasp the relationships between sets of data, for example, predicted
exons in genomic DNA vs Blast hits.

Mark

--
Mark Dalphin                          email: mdalphin@amgen.com
Mail Stop: 29-2-A                     phone: +1-805-447-4951 (work)