Bioperl: libgd and bioperl

Aaron J Mackey ajm6q@virginia.edu
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 11:41:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Andreas Matern wrote:

> As mentioned on SlashDot (http://slashdot.org) today, the gd library
> (http://www.boutell.com/gd/) which creates GIFs on the fly and is required
> by Lincoln's GD (http://stein.cshl.org/WWW/software/GD/GD.html) module
> (which I use, in part, for Alessandro Guffanti's Paintblast
> (http://hercules.tigem.it/Biomodules.html) module) has been withdrawn due to
> copyright problems!

The word from the Perl community at large is that the GD.pm package for
perl is a 1.2 (or maybe 1.3) that doesn't have Unisys's LZW compression,
so we all should be okay to continue to use GD.

But today, the gd package is newly available but instead of GIF format,
they produce PNG - which is great if you have PNG capable browser, which
most users probably don't.

I've been using GD to display alignment information pretty extensively in
my own projects.  I may carefully consider using it for "publically
available" display (or switch to PNG, I dunno yet).

> Thought you would like to know....... and maybe ask about graphics and
> bioperl.  The software users I interact with always require graphical
> displays to analyze data -- which is understandable, but makes my life a bit
> difficult.  :-)
>
> Has the bioperl community tackled many/any graphics issues?  i.e. graphical
> display of chromosomes, BLAST results, contig information, chromatographs,
> etc....
>

> ---------------
> Andreas Matern
> 622 Rhodes Hall