great docu!! (was: re: alphabet_ok)

Georg Fuellen fuellen@chagall.Mathematik.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Sun, 12 Jan 1997 20:55:14 +0000 (GMT)

Chris:

You're doing a marvellous job at documentation, BUT don't write
much more! It's just the right amount, but adding more has
several problems:
- Future changes would have too many consequences: The more
docu you have, the more stuff you need to scan if you do changes,
and the code isn't sufficiently stable yet.
- Some ppl get tired if there's too much documentation, and we're
not yet starting to write an O'Reilly - book :-)
- Also, ppl will ask ``So much docu about a boring object...
Where's the beef ?''. Beef will be there as soon as we have
graphics+WWW/CGI (I'm working on this), and a little beef is in
the parsing system, and the reverse, etc, stuff.
For a foundation class like Seq.pm our most important task however
is to explain that the beef is that we want to make it much easier
to use Perl as a Glue language in molecular biology, and we need
to provide examples incl. graphics+WWW/CGI which make this point.
That, I believe, will be the main selling point, and prominent
in the docu.

I hope to have the Aln.pm POD draft, and a nice homepage draft done
tomorrow.

I havn't got anything from Steve yet.. Steve... you listening?

best wishes,
georg