[Biojava-l] BioJava, oracle problem with jdk

Steve Darnell darnells at dnastar.com
Wed Feb 6 16:24:55 UTC 2013

Hi Radomir,

I expect you must be using a Mac with a PPC or 32-bit Intel CPU. Apple Java 6 is not available for PPC architecture nor 32-bit Intel machines running OS X 10.5 or lower. Java 6 is available on Windows XP/Vista/7, Linux, and Mac OS X 10.5 (64-bit only)/10.6+.

If you must use Java 5, your options are:

* Build BioJava yourself (as Amr suggested): http://biojava.org/wiki/Get_source, http://biojava.org/wiki/BioJava3_eclipse
* Try SoyLatte: http://landonf.bikemonkey.org/static/soylatte/, Java 6 port for Mac OS X 10.4, 10.5 (Intel)

If you go the SoyLatte route, be prepared to pray for it to work. It is several years old. If it were me, I'd update my Mac to 10.6 then hope the mainboard doesn't fail. I'm not a huge fan of 10.7+, but I'll be forced to go there eventually.

~Steve