[Biojava-l] Help! Gsoc Project

Alexandru Paiu paiualex12 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 20:38:47 UTC 2011

Full Name : Alexandru Paiu
Country : Romania
E-mail : paiualex12 at gmail.com or paiualex12 at yahoo.com
Phone Number : 40733924684

Hi . My name is Alexandru Paiu , I'm a student in third year at University
Politehnica of Bucharest , Romania , and I really want to participate in
Gsoc .  I don't have any professional experience in programming because i've
never worked in a company . So , I think that this is my chance , of course
in gaining real professional experience and I want to practice everything
I’ve learned in all this years of study .
I was accepted for two summer internships at 2 companies , Java Programming
Internships , but they don't offer any sallary so will be kinda hard to work
in another town (they are in Bucharest , and I live in Constanta , another
town)
After all , i'd  really like to be accepted in this Gsoc program to gain
professional experience , work from home and make some money

After searching on the Organisation list , and Project List i found Open
Bioinformatics Foundation . It is the only organization that attracted
my attention
, because I consider that the proposed Projects from BioJava favors me . I
want to apply to Amino acids physico-chemical properties calculation Project
, because it will be implemented in Java , and especially it uses
Threads .*I've never applied for a Gsoc project before so  I need some
help . I read
that i must specify in my application , how may I improve the Project and
how should I do it , but I really don't understand what exactly must I do ,
so I don't have my own Ideeas for now . I really need some informations
about the Project . **

*I've started studying Java programming for about one and a half years ,
alone from Java Books , from internet (
http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/index.html) and from school
. I've implemented a lot of school projects in Java , and Java Books
projects .
Three of my Projects that I am proud of are : making a Lanchat Client-Server
using TCP/IP , a Lanchat Peer-Peer using UDP multicasting and administrating
a Database from a Java Applet with J/Connector and Mysql (you can see the
tables and insert/delete/update selected rows from the selected table , and
making some reports ).
I used Threads in the lanchat projects and in Java game Projects like Brick
or Ricochet .

I really hope that this is the mail for BioJava and that i will get an
answer soon . I haven't found an irc for this departament .

Thank you very much for your time

Alexandru Paiu