[Biojava-l] NoClassDefFoundError

Hamed, Ahmed A. ahmed.elmasri at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 17:58:20 UTC 2009

Hi Charles,
This is a common java error when you don't have all the required jar in your
class-path. Problem with Netbeans or Eclipse is that they set the class-path
internally but once you need to use it from another machine you have to
create manage your own class-path.

In Eclipse, not sure about NetBeans, you can export your project as a JAR
and you can specify a MANIFEST.MF file. Make sure this this file exists and
the project libraries that are required on your labtop are migrated to the
new machine and the path within the MANIFEST.MF file is pointing correctly
to them.

Here is what my MANIFEST.MF file looks like when I migrated biojava project
to another machine:

Manifest-Version: 1.0
Class-Path: /home/ahamed/I529Fall2009/HW1/bytecode.jar
/home/ahamed/I529Fall2009/HW1/biojava.jar
Main-Class: mlbio.genes.dna.CodonTableCalculator

Hope that fixes your problem.
Best wishes,
Ahmed

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Charles Imbusch <charles at imbusch.net>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using Netbeans and Biojava on my Laptop. Netbeans creates a jar file
> for my project and I can successfully execute it.
>
> Now I would like to execute the java code on another machine. I installed
> Biojava on
> that machine as well and copied the jar file to it.
>
> But I get an error message like this:
>
> charles at nougat:~$ java -jar MPI.jar
> org/biojava/bio/BioException
>
> I checked my installation (on nougat ) and tried to compile one of the
> example files provided in the
> demo folder of the Biojava distribution. The compilation worked out.
>
> No I'm really wondering what can cause that error.
>
> Any answer is appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Charles

Ahmed Abdeen Hamed
Scientific Informatics Project Leader
Marine Biological Laboratory Woods Hole, MA
--
Ph.D. student, Complex Systems
School of Informatics, Indiana University