[Biojava-l] BioGroovy

Andy Yates ayates at ebi.ac.uk
Fri Aug 15 08:55:15 UTC 2008

Hi Mark,

There has been talk in the past about a groovier version of BioJava or
at the very least showing where Groovy can help to reduce the verbosity
of some parts of the biojava framework. I've done a tiny bit but my work
has only been into prototyping Java code & quickly asserting some
assumptions I had about BioJava (as in how the framework works).

What would be a brilliant step in a Groovier BioJava is to start
levering the builders (http://groovy.codehaus.org/Builders). I mean
imagine being able to write something like:

def myReferences = getReferences();

new EmblBuilder().build {
	id('U00096')
	myReferences.each{ ref ->
		reference {
			//
		}
	}
}

I admit it's not a fully formed idea at the moment but hopefully you can
see where I'm going with this :)

WRT Grails; our supported BioSQL API is written in Hibernate; just the
same as GORM (Grails' ORM solution). So technically I cannot see a
reason why it wouldn't be possible; my only wonder is how Grails
controls transaction boundaries and translating this to our BioSQL.

Andy