[Biojava-l] BioGroovy

Mark Fortner phidias51 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 15:49:30 UTC 2008

Hi Andy,
The builders and closures definitely make it easier to use and cut
down on the verbosity of the language. You also have built-in support
for CLI, and can leverage libraries like ORO for regular expression
handling.   The XmlSlurper makes it easier to handle downloading and
parsing XML.

I created a roadmap for a series of blog articles on various common
bioinformatics-related tasks.  I started out with a couple of quick
entries on using NCBI's EUtils with Groovy.  If there's some interest,
I'll see about posting the roadmap on a wiki somewhere (along with
some of the "recipes" that I've written).  Anyone who's interested
could then contribute their own "recipes" to it.

I'm just getting started with Grails.  My initial thought was to
identify the BioSQL objects  (i.e. SimpleNamespace, SimpleNCBITaxon,
SimpleBioEntry, etc) as domain objects and have the grails ant script
handle generating the gui and persistence stacks for them (perhaps
using Derby).

This might be overly-simplistic, but I'm looking for ways to make
biojavax, and biosql more easily accessible.

Mark

--
Mark Fortner

blog: http://feeds.feedburner.com/jroller/ideafactory