[Biojava-l] How to launch a blast on ncbi server via biojava?

Mark Schreiber markjschreiber at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 14:15:56 UTC 2007

Hi -

BioJava doesn't have a mechanism to do this however EBI does expose a
webservice for NCBI BLAST. The details can be found at
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/Tools/webservices/services/ncbiblast

They have a java client with source code you could reuse.

You can then use biojava to parse the results. If the results are in
XML you can use biojava's BLAST XML parser or you could just use XPath
to get the bits you want.

If you build a solution that makes use of biojava it would be great if
you can add it to the cookbook section of the biojava wiki.

- Mark