[Biojava-l] Important OBF update for biojava developers and users

Chris Dagdigian dag at sonsorol.org
Tue Mar 21 17:55:11 UTC 2006

Executive summary:

biojava.org new DNS is propagating as I write this email. Eventually
everyone should see the new wiki-based site running on the new OBF
server hardware.  Read on for more info on some other upcoming
changes...

Hi biojava people,

Sorry for the interruption but I've got some important site and
server news. People will also see multiple copies of this note as I
slowly transition sites over one at a time.

We are in the midst of moving all of our websites, mailing lists,
developers and sourcecode repositories onto more modern hardware
located in a 2nd Boston area datacenter facility.

The transition is important for a couple of reasons - the most urgent
being that we are going to lose internet connectivity in our current
hosting facility on March 27th 2006.  That datacenter belongs to
Wyeth Research in Cambridge, Massachusetts.  Wyeth Research &
Genetics Institute have been long time significant supporters &
hosting providers for OBF servers and projects -- we owe them a great
deal of gratitude and public acknowledgment for hosting our servers
over many years. Speaking as a hardware geek I can tell you that the
many years of high-bandwidth, trouble free hosting have been
invaluable for our efforts and projects.   Sadly, it is no longer
possible for them to host our servers as they need to begin making
some network and WAN circuit changes that will no longer support
direct internet facing servers (such as ours) in Cambridge.

The other major reason for the transition is our need to relocate
onto hardware that can better be remotely managed (as our volunteer
administrators are scattered all over the globe).

My employer, BioTeam Inc. has donated new server hardware and is also
providing the hosting facilities in a Tier 1 Boston area colocation
facility.
Infrastructure geeks can see pictures of the colocation  cage and the
new OBF servers online at this URL:
http://bioteam.net/gallery/bioteamBDC  -- those servers also host
EMBOSS FTP/CVS and mailing lists.

Current status of the migration:

  - All 57 mailing lists have been moved over to the new hardware
(you may have noticed "lists.open-bio.org" showing up in your list
messages)

  - The new anonymous sourcecode server is running at http://
code.open-bio.org. "cvs.biojava.org" is already pointing at it.

  - Your website (biojava.org) was moved to the new hardware (and new
Wiki site!) about an hour ago

  - Developers with CVS accounts have *NOT* been migrated yet

Basically we are trying to relocate everything but the developers
over the next few days so we can spend the weekend on the developer
and CVS transition.

If DNS has not propagated yet, point your browser at http://
biojava.open-bio.org -- that is the new site your group has been
building. What is happening now is DNS pointers for biojava.org and
www.biojava.org are slowly changing over to point at the wiki and the
new hardware. Eventually you'll see the same site regardless of which
URL you use.

  For biojava users
transition. In particular your new wiki site contains embedded links
to some parts of the 'old' static website.  I caught the obvious ones
-- (biojava.org/downloads/ and biojava.org/docs/ but I may have
missed some.  Please let me know about any broken links.

Also someone may want to clean up the biojava logo image now in the
wiki to make the white background transparent.

  For developers and leaders
Whomever will be updating the static parts of the website (/downlaod/
and /docs/)  in the future will need login access to our new central
webserver  machine, please contact support at open-bio.org to request a
user account for biojava website maintenance.

For people with CVS commit/write access
Also note that when we finally do transition over to the new
developer machine (where the real sourcecode lives), ALL developers
will need to email support at open-bio.org to request a password reset.
Although we can transition usernames, settings and home directories
over from the old to the new machine we can not transition over
existing passwords as they are stored in incompatible hashed formats.
All developers are going to need new passwords for the new developer
machine.  We will likely make the developer machine swap this weekend.

Reporting Problems / Help & Assistance
The transition will be complicated, we need your help to spot
problems and glitches! The OBF has a new helpdesk ticketing system
set up at "support at open-bio.org" so that all OBF admins can read and
respond to issues and problems. Most troubles should be reported to
that address. For urgent problems, especially during this transition
period,  feel free to contact me directly (dag at sonsorol.org) (ichat/
aol/aim screen name:  bioteamdag).

Regards,
Chris Dagdigian