[Biojava-l] accessing data in servers(ex. NCBI) from our java programmes

Simon Moses ks_moses at yahoo.com
Wed May 11 05:22:50 EDT 2005

dear sir,

i am new to biojava.

i want to access data from NCBI(or other Databanks) with my programme. is there any possibility to send a 'select query' and get data?

how to know the format in which the data is stored? like textfile, oracle database, mysql etc..
if data is stored in any RDBMS what is the connection string?
if data is in textfiles how to know the path and file names? are the paths are fixed?

my intention is to send an sql query, get data, process it and display in my programme after checking few conditions.

i have seen an application which runs in client machine and accesses these databases.
for example, if we give our DNA in that programme and select the server and database, programme will search in NCBI server and give DNA sequences which are nealy equal.

thanks in advance
--Simon Moses

Visit My Home Page
http://www.geocities.com/ks_moses