[Biojava-l] accessing data in servers(ex. NCBI) from our java programmes

mark.schreiber at novartis.com mark.schreiber at novartis.com
Wed May 11 05:40:06 EDT 2005

Welcome to Biojava!

to get data from NCBI I reccomend using their eutils
(http://eutils.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query/static/eutils_help.html)

to read sequence text files (or the sequence text returned by NCBI) have a
look at the tutorials about SeqIO on
http://www.biojava.org/docs/bj_in_anger/index.htm

to interact with a SQL database I would reccomend getting a very recent
version of biojava from CVS and a very recent version of BioSQL
(http://obda.open-bio.org/) from the open-bio cvs server
(http://cvs.open-bio.org/) the have a look at the BioSQL tutorials at the
bottom of the Biojava in Anger page
(http://www.biojava.org/docs/bj_in_anger/index.htm)

Keep posted for updates on the biojava / biosql interface. This is an area
of active development.

Best of luck.

- Mark

Mark Schreiber
Principal Scientist (Bioinformatics)

Novartis Institute for Tropical Diseases (NITD)
10 Biopolis Road
#05-01 Chromos
Singapore 138670
www.nitd.novartis.com