[Biojava-l] Re: [Root-l] Denied access to download directory

Thomas Down td2 at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Aug 15 07:57:18 EDT 2003

On Fri, Aug 15, 2003 at 01:23:13PM +0200, Einar Andreas R?dland wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to download BioJava, but get 'Access forbidden!' on the
> following links:
>
>   http://biojava.org/download/
>   http://www.biojava.org/download/
>   http://www.biojava.org/download/binaries/

The biojava website was moved last night to a new server, and
there seems to be a minor configuration problem.  I don't
currently have access to fix this myself, but hopefully it
will be sorted out soon.

> Secondly, in the API of BasisSymbol
>
>   http://biojava.org/docs/api/org/biojava/bio/symbol/BasisSymbol.html
>
> the implementing class SimpleBasisSymbol is refered to, but is not to
> be found in the API; nor can I find the class SimpleSymbol which is
> refered to in e.g. AbstractSymbol. Am I missing something?

Those two classes both exist but are package-private (and have been
for several releases now).  You can see them in the source distribution
if you're interested, but they're not publically accessible.  In
general, you should create new Symbol objects using factory
methods on the AlphabetManager class.

Thanks for pointing out the problems with the documentation.