[Biojava-l] Maintaining biojava on several machines

Matthew Pocock mrp@sanger.ac.uk
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 13:22:16 +0000

Hi Mark,

The releases (e.g. 1.1) are stable and maintained. If you notice bugs in
these, then please tell us and it will be fixed both in the release and
the trunk. If you are intending to run production code using BioJava and
1.1 has the functionality, then I would advise using this.

The main trunk is in constant flux, with lots of new features being
added daily, but you must be aware that we make no guarantees for the
head other than that it compiles. Of course, if you must have the latest
shineyest features, then you can run off a localy tested trunk build and
only replace this with another 'trusted' build. Keeping your run-time
systems in sync with cvs is probably a very bad thing.

As far as client/server goes, we have had positive experiences writing
servers using BioJava, so if the functionality can be thought of as
services (database access, running sequence searches etc.), then it all
works. Java lets you use raw sockets, corba, RMI etc. with relatively
little pain. Of course, you will need to write a client as well, so if
the client has BioJava dependancies, you're back to square 1.

Matthew