[Biojava-l] Maintaining biojava on several machines

Emig, Robin Robin.Emig@maxygen.com
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 13:34:08 -0800

	Due to the development versions changing fairly rapidly I would
suggest that for wide spread use of biojava, use only the snapshots. These
come out once every ??? 6 months or so and are stable. This reduces the work
load of updating all the machines all the time. But if you want to use the
latest, greatest version I would suggest setting up an NFS share on one of
your unix machines and having all other unix machines mount it somewhere and
include that location in their classpath (in profile.d or csh.cshrc (or
other shell) for system wide). You can do the same with windows using UNC
path (ie \\biojavaserver\biojava\biojava.jar). However, in most cases you
really dont need to do that, just use the snapshot and update the machine
every 6 months.
	In our case we are using http://java.sun.com/products/javawebstart/
javawebstart to essentially push new versions of our biojava apps down to
client machines. We simply include all of biojava in the application jar.
That way if we update biojava, or our application it is just gets downloaded
the next time the user starts the program. You can however, using webstart
create separate jars, but you may run into the situation where biojava or
your app stop working together if you are using the "in development" cvs
snapshots.
-Robin