[Biojava-l] Build systems

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 16:15:56 +0000

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 04:11:41PM +0000, Keith James wrote:

> I've used both, but couldn't figure out how to get ant to do the
> equivalent of
>
> java build/Builder package foo

You can't.  At least, I don't think so.
If this turns out to be really important, I guess we could
auto-generate a build.xml which contains an ANT task for each
biojava package.  However...

> My development machine is a 150 MHz laptop, so this makes the
> difference between a 30 second and a 10-15 minute wait for between
> builds. The ant user manual wasn't very enlightening on this aspect.

Have you actually tried it and found that you had to wait 10
minutes?  Ant compares it's working copy of the source tree
against the main copy, and only rebuilds things that have
changed (it does a bit of dependancy checking, too).  After changing
a few files I can normally recompile in ~10 seconds (on a 300Mhz
laptop)

If this isn't working for you, that's a problem which we
should look into...

   Thomas.