[Biojava-l] java or perl?

Emmanouil Skoufos skoufos@netzero.net
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 14:59:06 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0035_01C10887.B30A2C00

Hi Dave,

to answer your question about Java or Perl: =20
I believe that each language has its own advantages and disadvantages =
and places where it is the "the best possible option".  I personally, =
prefer to use the best (including performance, robustness, time to =
market and price factors) available option no matter what is its name.  =
I think that you will find the answer to the question (Java or Perl -or =
C) similar to answers to the questions about mac vs pc vs unix.=20
Specifically for AceDB:  The users have developed a suite of tools, you =
might want to look at http://www.acedb.org/Software/Tools/ ; given the =
complexity of structuring queries for AceDB, I would think that querying =
the  Wormbase data http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Projects/C_elegans/WORMBASE/ =
might be easier and more productive.  I am sure that the Sanger Center =
folks would have some better input on this.

Emmanouil Skoufos
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Reynoldsvt@aol.com=20
  To: biojava-l@biojava.org=20
  Sent: Monday, July 09, 2001 2:04 PM
  Subject: [Biojava-l] java or perl?

  Hi=20

  I am just getting in the bioinformatics field, and I am wondering if =
easier=20
  to design programs to perform bioinformatics task in java or perl.  I =
have=20
  visited both biojava, and bioperl, and am not sure where to begin.=20

  Specifically I am interesting in writing a program which queries the =
ACEDB as=20
  I am compliling information for my own speicialized C. Elegans =
database.  I=20
  was wondering which biojava package contained the java classes that =
would=20
  allow me to do this.  I couldn't seem to locate the...your help would =
be=20
  greatly appreciated...=20

  thanks=20

  Dave=20

------=_NextPart_000_0035_01C10887.B30A2C00

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dwindows-1253">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Hi Dave,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>to answer your question about Java or Perl:&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I believe that each language has its own advantages =
and=20
disadvantages and places where it is the "the best possible=20
option".&nbsp;&nbsp;I personally, prefer to use the best (including =
performance,=20
robustness, time to market and price factors) available option no matter =
what is=20
its name.&nbsp; I think that you will find the answer to the question =
(Java or=20
Perl -or C) similar to answers to the questions about&nbsp;mac vs pc vs=20
unix.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Specifically for AceDB: </FONT>&nbsp;<FONT =
size=3D2>The users=20
have developed a suite of tools, you might want to look at <A=20
href=3D"http://www.acedb.org/Software/Tools/">http://www.acedb.org/Softwa=
re/Tools/</A>&nbsp;;=20
given the complexity of structuring queries for AceDB, I would think=20
that&nbsp;querying the &nbsp;Wormbase data <A=20
href=3D"http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Projects/C_elegans/WORMBASE/">http://www.=
sanger.ac.uk/Projects/C_elegans/WORMBASE/</A>&nbsp;might=20
be easier and more productive.&nbsp; I am sure that the Sanger Center =
folks=20
would have some better input on this.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Emmanouil Skoufos</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3DReynoldsvt@aol.com=20
  href=3D"mailto:Reynoldsvt@aol.com">Reynoldsvt@aol.com</A> </DIV>
title=3Dbiojava-l@biojava.org=20
  href=3D"mailto:biojava-l@biojava.org">biojava-l@biojava.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Monday, July 09, 2001 =
2:04 PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [Biojava-l] java or =
perl?</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT><FONT size=3D2></FONT><BR></DIV><FONT=20
  face=3Darial,helvetica><FONT size=3D2>Hi <BR><BR>I am just getting in =
the=20
  bioinformatics field, and I am wondering if easier <BR>to design =
programs to=20
  perform bioinformatics task in java or perl. &nbsp;I have <BR>visited =
both=20
  biojava, and bioperl, and am not sure where to begin. =
<BR><BR>Specifically I=20
  am interesting in writing a program which queries the ACEDB as <BR>I =
am=20
  compliling information for my own speicialized C. Elegans database. =
&nbsp;I=20
  <BR>was wondering which biojava package contained the java classes =
that would=20
  <BR>allow me to do this. &nbsp;I couldn't seem to locate the...your =
help would=20
  be <BR>greatly appreciated... <BR><BR>thanks <BR><BR>Dave</FONT>=20
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0035_01C10887.B30A2C00--