[Biojava-l] problem running demos from the biojava-live dir ...

sarathchandra sarathjanga@yahoo.com
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 20:58:02 -0700 (PDT)

hi
  I was trying to install the package in red hat linux
7.1 though my pc has both windows millinium edition
and linux installed on the same system with
windows/linux connectivity enabled.
   here is what my  environment looks like from linux
when i run some commands from bash
 [sarath@localhost symbol]$ pwd

/home/sarath/packages/biojava-live/resources/org/biojava/bio/symbol
 [sarath@localhost symbol]$ ls
 AlphabetManager.xml ResidueProperties.xml
 [sarath@localhost symbol]$ echo $CLASSPATH

/home/sarath/jars/biojava-20010813.jar:/home/sarath/jars/jakarta-regexp.jar:/home/sarath/jars/xml.jar:/home/sarath/jars/bytecode-0.90.jar:/home/sarath/jars/xerces.jar:/home/sarath/packages/biojava-live/demos:/home/sarath/packages/biojava-live/resources:.
 [sarath@localhost symbol]$ java -version
  Kaffe virtual Machine
  copyright (c) 1996-2000
  Transvirtual Technologies,Inc.All rights reserved
  Engine: Just-in-time V3 version:1.0.6 Java
version:1.1

   As I said there is a file in manifest ( i think
this file is named default*.*) which shows a path to
resources/org/biojava/bio/seq/tools/AlphabetManager.xml
but when i try to find such file no such file
exists.Is it some thing of our concern for the
failure.
  Now coming to my windows environment i tried running
the same way as you have setup . Here is how my
environment looks like but still the problem is a
single exception in main appears irrespective of the
program i run
 C:\biojava\biojava-live\demos\>java -version
 java version "1.3.0"
 Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, standard Edition
(build 1.3.0-c)
  Java Hotspot(TM) client VM(build 1.3.0.c,mixed mode)
 C:\biojava\biojava-live\demos>javac
seq\GCContent.java
 C:\biojava\biojava-live\demos>java seq.GCContent
 Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.NoclassDefFounderError : seq\GCContent
 C:\biojava\biojava-live\demos>java seq.GCContent
AL121903.genbank
 Exception in thread "main"
java.lang.NoclassDefFounderError : seq\GCContent
     I am not able to get a clue of what is going
wrong.would you advise me to build the whole tree and
make a copy of my own.But i  checked the size of the
biojava-jar it is perfectly fine as compared to that
available online.Hope the above output of my command
line will help you to solve my problem.
from sarath

--- Matthew Pocock <mrp@sanger.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi. My development biojava copy is in
> C:\stuff\biojava\biojava-live on
> my PC. I can find Alphabetmanager.xml here:

C:\stuff\biojava\biojava-live\resources\org\biojava\bio\symbol>ls
> AlphabetManager.xml  AlphabetManager.xml~  CVS
>
> To check if the resource is in the jar I type
> something like this:
>
> C:\stuff\biojava\biojava-live\ant-build>jar -tf
> biojava.jar > out
>
> C:\stuff\biojava\biojava-live\ant-build>grep
> AlphabetManager.xml out
> org/biojava/bio/symbol/AlphabetManager.xml
>
> To check the version of Java, I typed:
>
> C:\>java -version
> java version "1.4.0-beta"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition
> (build 1.4.0-beta-b65)
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.0-beta-b65,
> mixed mode)
>
> What kind of output do you get when you do similar
> things?
>
> Matthew
>
> sarathchandra wrote:
>
> > hi pocock
> >   I have tried to check the existence of the file
> > alphabetmanager.xml in the directory tools nested
> > inside resources i think this file  should be
> > somewhere like this
> > resources/../../tools/alphabetmanager.xml but the
> file
> > alphabetmanager.xml isnt present in the tools
> > directory.. is this some where the problem is
> arising
> > ... if this is so adding resources deliberately to
> my
> > classpath wouldnt help i guess, but still i will
> check
> > it.however do u feel it is the problem with the
> > biojava.jar file? may be? or may be not? have you
> ever
> > faced such problems like the program getting
> compiled
> > well but still the unhealthy exceptions like the
> one i
> > get.
> > awaiting your help
> > from sarath
> > --- Matthew Pocock <mrp@sanger.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> >>Hi Sarath,
> >>
> >>Weird. It sounds like alphabetmanager.xml can't be
> >>found within the
> >>biojava.jar repository. To test this out, can you
> >>add the 'resources'
> >>directory to the beginning of your classpath
> >>explicitly? If the program
> >>works then Java is having trouble finding the file
> >>within the jar file.
> >>Could you check that alphabetmanager.xml is in the
> >>same directory as
> >>AlphabetManager.class in the jar?
> >>
> >>I've occasionaly come up against strange resource
> >>resolution problems
> >>(do you or don't you add a leading slash to the
> >>path-name?). Mabey it is
> >>one of these.
> >>
> >>Matthew
> >>
> >>ps I've never seen a stack-trace quite like this.
> [...]
java.lang.Throwable.FillInstanceTrace(Throwable.java:native)

> >>org.biojava.bio.bioError,<init>(BioError.java:48)

> >>me

> >>because

> directory
> >>>
> >>is