[Biojava-l] Re: Preparation for a 1.1 release?

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 11:52:09 +0000

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 02:40:10PM -0500, Michael L. Heuer wrote:

> There is an ant file in cvs already, but it does not do everything the
> Builder code and scripts do.  If people were willing to move forward with
> some sort of test harness, I can update the ant build script accordingly.

When we were sorting out the original BioJava build system
there was a certain amount of resistance to using ANT, mainly
because it was non-standard.  Since then, it's shown every
sign of becoming the standard build tool for big Java projects.
I've just been glancing through the documentation, and  I have to
admit that it looks pretty nice.

If anyone is worried about an extra download for new developers,
we can always put ant.jar in the source tree (like we do for
xerces.jar and bytecode.jar).

I'd be happy to see a transition to ant over the next couple
of months.  If everyone is happy with it, we can gracefully
retire the old builder (really just a quick hack I wrote in
a few hours) after the 1.1 release.

``If I was going to carry a large axe on my back to a diplomatic
function I think I'd want it glittery too.''
           -- Terry Pratchett