[Biojava-l] Re: Preparation for a 1.1 release?

Michael L. Heuer heuermh@shore.net
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 14:40:10 -0500 (EST)

> Toolchain:
>
>    - The idea of using programs in the demos directory as test
>      cases doesn't really seem to be working out -- I'd like
>      to see a proper test harness, and a java equivalent of
>      `make test'.

We build and test portions of biojava as part of a larger system we have
inhouse; as such we use ant as the build tool and JUnit as the test
harness, although in all honesty any test harness will do.

Our build runs from a build machine separate from the development
environment, where ant runs nightly or weekly from a cron, checks out the
main branch from cvs, builds, tests, and e-mails the cron output back to
the development group.

<!--

  Generic ant build file

  targets:

    update       checks out or updates module from cvs
    compile
    package      builds the jar file (default)
    javadocs
    dist
    dist-zip    'binary' release (jar & documentation) in zip format
    dist-tgz    'binary' release (jar & documentation) in tar.gz format
    dist-both    both dist-zip & dist-tgz
    clean        cleans up the build & dist directories
    test         runs default test harness

  portions Copyright (c) 1999-2000 The Apache Software Foundation.

-->

I was actually quite suprised to see this recent article

http://www-4.ibm.com/software/developer/library/j-ant/?n-j-11160

which advocates a very similar process.

There is an ant file in cvs already, but it does not do everything the
Builder code and scripts do.  If people were willing to move forward with
some sort of test harness, I can update the ant build script accordingly.

   michael